Saturday, February 25, 2012

des aventures et des anniversaires en Angleterre

Well, in a way it’s hard to belief that February is nearly over! I must say I am a bit ready for this chapter to be drawn to a close, though not in the ways that I have previously felt. I think now it’s more that I am worrying and wondering about the next thing, which is really rather pointless considering that this adventure isn’t finished nor has the next one begun for me to dive into. Regardless, the perpetual planning and anticipating part of me has begun to speak evermore loudly lately, causing the thinking and contemplating voices to chime in. I promise I’m not actually schizophrenic, but really I have begun to feel the impulse to think about what I will do when I get home, and it’s frustratingly uncertain what it will look like or in which directions it will go. That aside for the instant, I have some recounting to do! It has been a while since my last blog (surprise, surprise), so I will begin where I left off. The end of my term was fine, though I always find that subconsciously or not, the last week is particularly tedious. It was kind of fun though because I brought zucchini bread to one of my schools for the kids to try. Whenever I bring it somewhere, people ask me what it is (the ever-curious French tend to be particularly inquisitive when it comes to food), and it always elicits an interesting reaction. Some seem genuinely interested in trying it, while others try their hardest to avoid displaying the look of distaste flashing across their eyes. But, more so than not, thankfully, most everyone tries it and really enjoys it. My students were no different. I only had one boy who refused to try it (though he was as sweet as anyone can be who refuses your food), and plenty who very begrudgingly tried it, either due to peer pressure, good manners, or the insistency of their teacher. The vast majority however seemed gratefully surprised to find that you really cannot taste the zucchini. Then I had the students who said they loved it so much that they annoying asked to eat the whole plate and I had to sternly though kindly remind them that even if the others had already had some, it’s not fair if some get more than others (darn those social manners). All in all, I’d say it was a success (at least I hope so!), but I was happy to have some time off. If I’m honest, I would really love another week off, but I know it will be fun to see them again.  Speaking of the vacation, I had the privilege of visiting the dearest assistant friend of them all, miss Dilly Leech (how’s this for a shout out babe? ), and it was a lovely time. She lives in the English countryside on a farm about two hours away from London, and without sounding too cliché (too late I guess), every morning when I woke up I felt like I was in Pride and Prejudice. Seriously, it was an enormous and beautiful house with a huge, huge yard. I was there for five days I think, and during that time I easily managed to spend all my money shopping, though I must say I am very proud of some of my purchases. I also got to eat Chinese food again, which was delightful, and her lovely mother made a traditional English dinner of toad in the hole (sausages cooked in a kind of batter/casserole dish). It was delicious, so there’s one stereotype discounted for you all, the English really do know how to cook! Dils also made me a chicken curry one night, complete with naan and hummus, and I have been thinking about it since. So yummy! I also got the chance to visit her grandmother, who was quite a hoot (super sweet but very proper). In fact, we were racing to meet her on time, because heaven forbid that we be five minutes behind schedule, haha. Some things are the same everywhere I guess. It was really cool though because we met up with her grandma to have afternoon tea at a convent, where her longtime friend has been living as a nun for over twenty years. The lady was a riot, and had a genuine interest in me even though she had only just met me. Such a sweet lady. We got to see the chapel area where they normally go for mass, and I felt so lucky to be invited to see it because normally it is closed off to the public. While we were leaving the chapel, there was a basket of soaps sitting in the foyer that the nuns make from  products in the gardens, and Dils’ grandma was a sweetheart and bought me a bar as a souvenir, so now I have some lavender soap to remember my visit by. I really enjoyed taking drives along the roads and into the cute little villages, even if I frightened myself every time we took a left turn without stopping while I sat on the left hand side of the car. I imagine that would take a long time to get use to, so props to all the English I know who drive in France. Anyway, it was my birthday weekend so, befitting Dilly and her friends, we had a big night out on Friday which was a lot of fun, and then she and six of her good girlfriends came over for a dinner party on Saturday. They were really sweet, and seeing them all together and hearing them exchange stories of boarding school and university made my heart smile for the friends who would have been sitting at my table. I can’t wait to have a get together like that when I get home! It was a great trip, and I am really glad that I had the chance to meet some new people, eat some new foods and see a part of Europe I had never really been to before. It has definitely made me realize that trips mean so much more, and are genuinely more interesting and valuable when you visit a place with someone who lives there and really knows what’s going on. Something to keep in mind next time I travel!  It was kind of nice to get back to my own bed in France, and I have enjoyed the much sunnier and warmer weather this week than the freezing temperatures we had the past two weeks. Yesterday was a particularly gorgeous day, so Claire and I went for a bike ride in town and around the lake. It was so nice to ride a bike again and just see what a gorgeous place I get to live in! She also got a new car, so afterwards we took a drive to visit some friends. It was so funny joking around about the knick-knacks of the car because she is not particularly keen when it comes to technology or new things in general (God forgive the day I get to that point!), and the trunk is so small that you can’t really call it a trunk. It’s more like a tiny section behind the back two seats that might fit a backpack, but definitely not a suitcase, making it particularly humorous considering that she was going to pick Jean-Luc up from the train station that night. It really is a cute little car though, and I was happy to run some errands in it.  Well, six more weeks until the next break, and then I only have one week of teaching left, so it truly is beginning to fly by. While I have so much making me think of home, I am starting to realize all the things and people I will miss in France, so here’s to making the most of it before it’s time to go! 
Until next time friends! (And as the English would say, “cheers mate!”) 
xoxo,  
Amy

2 comments:

  1. glad you had such a memorable birthday! i was def thinking about you especially on your bday :) love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Amy! I'm glad you had so much fun in England.

    ReplyDelete