Sunday, October 9, 2011

L'autome arrive....

And just like that, the weather has suddenly shifted into fall. I love fall, in fact I think it is my favorite season, but there is something different about experiencing it in a totally new place and situation. Either way, I am looking forward to what fall in Aix-les-Bains is like. My lesson of the day, and really of this whole trip, is that I want to present and open to what God has for me here. It is easy to miss home and everything comfortable and known that comes with it, but it really wouldn't do me any good, because I would just be missing out of my experience here while imagining a fake (and frankly less fun) version of home. Jim Elliot summed up a similar sentiment like this: "wherever you are, be all there". I am going to agree with him, and see where it takes me.
Anyway, sorry I haven't updated in a while, the past week and a half has been quite busy! Last Saturday, Claire (my host mom) took me to le revard, a mountain range just east of my town and I have to say that it was the most breathtaking view I may have ever seen. Seriously, it was incredible. It was a crystal clear day and I could perfectly see my whole town (yes, it is small) along with a 360 degree panorama of mountains (one of which was mont blanc in Switzerland). Needless to say there was a bit of a language gap over whether I would be doing some serious hiking to get to this place, and seeing as I did not bring any bag that would be useful for that sort of activity, I did not bring my camera. We drove as it turns out, but she did bring her camera and took a few photos that I will upload. All in all, it was so fabulous, and not having my camera there only gives me all the more reason to go back once it snows.
Last Monday was my first official day of work, but tomorrow I actually start my teaching, yikes! I hope I'm ready, but I think it will be fine as long as I am confident, communicative, and flexible. This week as been an interesting plunge into the French school system for sure. For one thing, they don't have school on Wednesdays ever, so that is a nice mid-week break, one that I will hopefully spend tutoring a bit on the side, along with planning and prep work. There grades are a little bit different than at home too, because instead of numbers (like 1st-6th grade) they have letters. The youngest is CP, then CE1, CE2, CM1, and the final year of elementary school CM2. All in all I have all grade levels and three different schools, so I will definitely have my hands full with 19 classes! Besides the long distances and elevation climbs between my schools and home (one school in particular is quite far), the teachers (les enseignants in French) seem to be nice, and the kids seem excited for me to start. When I finished the day observing at one school, a few kids rushed to find me and procedure to ask me questions in French about the States. They were so cute and definitely fascinated with the big, unknown place I come from, so I am really looking forward to building relationships with my students and learning from them as I try my best to help them learn English. Another aspect of French schools that has certainly take some getting used to is the 2 hour lunch break. Everyone, including teachers and the directeur, go home for this lovely gap in day, but when you have walked a few kilometers up the side of a mountain in 40 degree weather and you don't have a car, the break is a bit less leisurely. I am of course painting a slightly hyperbolic picture of my logistical plights, but nevertheless it is a bit of a pickle. One last thing I find rather terrifying and kind of funny in a ridiculous, could-I-be-in-a-movie way is the demeanor that French teachers have with their students. If you ever want to be terrified, just come watch these nice teachers suddenly yell at kids in French. To say they can transform into stern authority figures is an understatement, so hopefully I won't be the one they are yelling at anytime soon, lol. Despite the differences in pedagogy and the newness of my teaching career, I am excited to start. I feel like its kind of similar to heading into a big game where you're the underdog and you have nothing to loose; all I can do is try my best and know that people are pulling for me! Anyway, I will update soon about my first few days, wish me luck! xoxo,
Amy

4 comments:

  1. Nothing to lose! Love it. Love you. Keep the updates coming, ma chérie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh Amy this sounds so wonderful!! I hope you are having an AMAZING time because we are all sitting here at home, doing nothing fun, wishing we were living your life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! I am so grateful for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Amy! Tell me how working in the French school system has been for you! I just laughed when you said you guys have Wednesdays off and then a 2 hour lunch break. This just wouldnt fly in the US. In Paraguay, they have several random days off (for ¨teacher meetings¨) and they start at 7:30 and everyone is done with school by 11:30. Add in about 2 hours of recess/snack time during that day and you have what, 2 hours of ACTUAL learning? aye aye aye. but it is so great to experience more about how other education systems work, yes?
    it sounds like you have a great attitude with being a younger teacher who is new and a little less experienced with 1. teaching and 2. French. your attitude sounds great and thats the most important thing. i look forward to the next blog! p.s. i would LOVE to see these teachers yell in French! i have heard some yelling here and man is it scary! haha!

    ReplyDelete