I made it! I am in my room in Aix-les-Bains, and I can say with certainty that I am so glad to be done traveling! Yesterday, I took a train from Paris, where I stayed the night prior, and the lady whose house I am staying in came and picked me up from the train station. I am incredibly grateful that she did that, I don't know how I would have made it to her house otherwise with all my luggage. I don't know what I was thinking taking nearly my body weight in clothes and shoes, I guess it's the price I was willing to pay to have all my stuff with me! Somehow though, I managed, and although my shoulders are bruised and sore from carrying way too much, I am happy to have a wardrobe. :) Other than that misjudgment, my travels went smoothly. Last night Claire (the nice woman whom I live with) took me for a drive through the town I live in, and showed me the main streets to help me orient myself. Needless to say I still have absolutely no idea how to really get anywhere yet, but it was a nice introduction to where I'll be spending the next 7+ months. I slept a much needed 11.5 hours last night, and today I am going to go to the bank to set up my bank account. When I walked into the kitchen this morning, Claire offered to go with me, and I'm thinking that is pretty much the greatest blessing ever, I'm just really hoping that I won't make a fool of myself or show up at the wrong time. We have been conversing in French and it has been difficult, but she is pretty understanding, and I found out last night that she taught English, so if I need to I can speak to her in English (but of course she said that it was only for desperate situations)Gah! That said, I think that my French will have to improve, I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later. In the mean time, my brain will be working extra frantically trying to come up with intelligible sentences. Here's to a fast improvement! Anyway, I am excited to be here and get settled. Tomorrow I will probably get a cell phone and go grocery shopping, and then Monday I will go meet with an administrator to set up my schedule and introduce myself. That's when I will find out when I will be working, and how much time I will spend at my three schools. I will let you know how the bank appointment goes this afternoon, but prayers and "les vœux de bon courage" (well wishes) are appreciated!
À bientôt mes chéries,
Amy
Yay! You are so independent! France sounds fun so far, can't wait to see pics of your new house!! :)
ReplyDeleteAmy rock on! You sound like you're doing beautifully. I'm sure you french will improve in mere days you are such a go getter. Praying for you and your travels. Keep asking God for insight and nearness and He'll hold you up in the hard times. Love you!
ReplyDeleteYeah girl! I love this blog! Glad to see you got there safe. Traveling SUCKS huh!? And having to pack your LIFE into a few bags for a long time is NOT easy!! Glad to see your host mom is nice and helpful, that is sooooo nice to have! Good luck on your French (I can relate to the difficulty of language aquisition and frustration, so hit me up if you ever wanna vent!). I am VERY proud of you for doing this. You rock!!! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteSO glad you're keeping a blog! also very thankful you arrived safely after a long day of travel! happy you are enjoying france so far. miss you already. love you and praying for you!
ReplyDelete